Sony has launched its flagship phone Sony Xperia Z2 in India and this time it has focused on user experience. Sony has updated Z2 with all the latest top notch hardware but has used the same 20.7 MP camera sensor used in Xperia Z1, but with 4K video recording enabled. In-spite of the same sensor being used, the camera is definitely an improvement.
Sony has enhanced the camera app as well. The feature loaded app comes with the trendy bokeh effect feature which we have seen in almost all new flagships. Xperia Z2 however lets you manually control the depth of field according to your requirement.
Sony Xperia Z2 Quick Specs
- Display Size: 5.2 Inch Full HD IPS LCD, 1920 X 1080 , 424 PPI
- Processor: 2.3 GHz Quad Core Snapdragon 801 processor with Adreno 330 GPU
- RAM: 3 GB
- Software Version: Android 4.4 Kitkat (Customized)
- Camera: 20.7 MP camera, LED flash, 4K Video Recording at 30fps, 1080p at 60fps, 720p at 120fps
- Secondary Camera: 2.2 MP with 1080p recording @ 30fps
- Internal Storage: 16 GB
- External Storage: 64 GB using MicroSD
- Battery: 3200 mAh
- Connectivity: HSPA+, LTE optional, Wi-Fi 802.11 b/g/n ac, Bluetooth 4.0 with A2DP, GPS GLONASS, Infrared
- sensors: Accelerometer, proximity, compass, gyro, Barometer
Sony Xperia Z2 Camera Details and Features
The 1/2.3” 20.7 MP Exmor RS image sensor with G Lens on top is the best from Sony so far and is also capable of recording 4k Videos. Xperia Z2 offers 8 X digital zoom, digital image stabilization, touch focus, and a long list of conventional modes and features, which you might check once and forget. The front 2.1 MP shooter is capable of full HD video recording as well. The rear camera beats every other device out there to score 79 points (Nokia 808 PureView ) in DxOMark’s tests.
Sony Xperia Z2 Camera Samples
As you can see in these samples, in spite of the low light conditions, the images are rich in details and color reproduction is also quite good.
In the shot below, you can observe some noise, but the details are good.
Xperia Z2 handles artificial light quite well
Sony Xperia Z2 Camera Video Sample 1080p at 29fps
Sony Xperia Z2 Front Camera Video Sample 1080p at 29 fps
Sony Xperia Z2 Photo Gallery
Sony Xperia Z2 Camera Comparison & Conclusion
We were quite impressed with Sony Xperia Z2 camera but we still liked Samsung Galaxy S5 tad bit better in terms of overall experience. Also we are skeptical about DxOMark’s score which ranks it above Nokia 808 PureView. The camera App is also feature loaded like most flagship phones out there and the app clicks well with Xperia Z2 sensor. Sony has improved a lot as compared to Xperia Z1, but there is still room for much improvement.