Samsung Galaxy Note 9 reportedly caught fire inside a woman’s purse in the US. The lady, who is Long Island-based real estate agent, has filed a lawsuit against the company after her new unit of Note 9 burned into flames on September 3 in her purse.
As per a report by the New York Post, Diane Chung, a real estate agent in Long Island was in an elevator of a building when her new Samsung Galaxy Note 9 burned for a long time until it was dropped into a bucket of water.
The report claims that the phone turned extremely hot while Diane was using it. She immediately stopped using it and put the phone in her purse. However, just after a moment, she heard a ‘whistling and screeching sound’ and noticed thick smoke.
She got panicked after realizing that the phone had caught fire. Being in an elevator with a burning Note 9, she got horrified and pressed random elevator buttons to get out of it. After she was out, she threw the phone out of the elevator. Surprisingly, the phone still did not cease to burn, until someone took and dropped it into a bucket of water.
In the lawsuit filed against the Samsung in Queen’s court, the lady claims that all her belongings in the purse were damaged and she intends to receive compensation for all the damages. Moreover, she also wants the sale of Samsung Note 9 phones to be banned.
Samsung said that it was the first time they heard about this incident of Galaxy Note 9 and they would further investigate the matter. “We have not received any reports of similar incidents involving a Galaxy Note9 device and we are investigating the matter,” commented a Samsung spokesperson.
The Galaxy Note 9 comes with a massive 4,000mAh battery. Samsung Mobiles CEO DJ Koh said in an interview with The Korean Herald that the new device would not cause any problem regarding the battery. “The battery in the Galaxy Note 9 is safer than ever. Users do not have to worry about the batteries anymore,” said CEO Koh.
Previously, another Galaxy Note series phone has become a nightmare for the company. Back in 2016, the Galaxy Note 7 faced several cases of random ignition that forced the company to recall 2.5 million units and eventually kill the Galaxy Note 7.