Update: Telegram has now released a dedicated feature to import WhatsApp chats. Here’s how you can use it to transfer chats from WhatsApp to Telegram.
Move Your WhatsApp Group Chats to Telegram
Unfortunately, there’s no direct option to import WhatsApp group chats on Telegram. However, it’s not completely impossible. We have a workaround that requires you to create a new group on Telegram, get the invite link and use the same to migrate people from your WhatsApp groups easily and efficiently.
Step 1- Create a New Group on Telegram
- Open Telegram on your phone.
- Click the Pen icon at the bottom right corner.
- On the next screen, click on New Group.
- Add at least one member and proceed.
Step 2- Get the Group Invite Link
- Open the Group conversation and tap the group name at the top.
- Now, click on Add Member.
- On the next screen, click on Invite to Group Via Link to get the group invite link.
Step 3- Share the Invite Link to WhatsApp Group
- Copy the Group Invite link from Telegram.
- Then, open WhatsApp and head to your group.
- Here, paste the invite link.
The members in your WhatsApp group can now quickly join the Telegram group by clicking on your link. You can also directly send the invite link to the WhatsApp group by clicking Share > WhatsApp > Your Group Name.
Telegram Group Limits
Telegram allows up to 200,000 members in one group, which is insane compared to WhatsApp’s mere 256-member cap. Besides, it also supports replies, mentions, and hashtags in group chats.
Like WhatsApp, you can make voice and video calls on Telegram, even in group chats. However, group video calls are currently in the testing phase and yet to be rolled out.
This was a quick guide on how you can move your WhatsApp group chats to Telegram with ease. Since both are different platforms, you cannot directly transfer chats or groups from WhatsApp to Telegram. However, the above method will surely make the migration easier for you and others.