Work from home has gained a lot of momentum since the past year. People working from home are attending meetings and presentations over video calls. At the same time, students and teachers, too, are using platforms like Zoom for online classes. However, not everyone is comfortable with video calls at home. The reason could be the mess in your room or your willingness to attend the meeting while hiding your surroundings. Thankfully, Zoom does allow you to hide what’s going behind you by using virtual backgrounds. Here’s how you can use an image or video as background in a Zoom meeting.
Use Image or Video as Background in Zoom Meeting
Using the virtual background feature, you can change your background to an image or animation in an ongoing meeting. You can also use a custom image or video of your choice as the background during the Zoom video call.
Everything else except you will be covered with the background image or video. It will help you maintain your privacy by hiding your surroundings or your room. Below is how you can set custom images or videos as background in Zoom for PC, Android, and iPhone.
On Zoom for PC (Windows & Mac)
- Open Zoom client on your computer.
- Click the gear icon on the top right to open Settings.
- Then, select Background & Filters or Virtual Background (on Mac) from the sidebar.
- Here, click on the + icon next to Virtual Backgrounds.
- To use an image as your background in Zoom, select Add Image. If you want to use video as your Zoom background, click on Add Video.
- Select the desired image or video file from your computer.
That’s it. You can now start or join a Zoom meeting with the selected image or video as your background. Besides, you can also choose from built-in virtual background options offered by Zoom.
Make sure to crop the image to match the aspect ratio of your camera before uploading it. Also, use a background image with a minimum resolution of 1280 by 720 pixels. In the case of video, you can use a file with quality ranging from 360p to 1080p.
Change Image or Video Background During a Meeting
Zoom also lets you switch backgrounds in an ongoing meeting. To do so, click the ^ button to the right of the ‘Stop Video’ button during a video call. Then, select “Choose Virtual Background.” You can then enable or disable the custom background or change your image or video.
Zoom’s virtual background feature works best with a green screen and under uniform lighting conditions. Here’s our detailed guide on using a green screen to change your Zoom video background.
On Zoom for Android & iOS
The Zoom app for Android and iOS currently supports only images as backgrounds. You cannot set a video as a background on the Zoom mobile app.
- Open the Zoom app on your phone.
- Join or create a new meeting with your video-enabled.
- During an ongoing meeting, tap anywhere on the screen to show controls.
- Click the More button at the bottom right corner.
- From the available options, select Virtual Background.
- Here, you can use the given images as your background.
- To set your own image as your Zoom background, scroll to the right and click “+.”
- Select the image file from your phone.
- Once done, click on Close.
Can’t see the virtual background option? Try updating the app to the latest version from Google Play Store or App Store. If you still don’t see the option, then your phone probably cannot support the feature.
This was all about how you can use an image or video as your background in a Zoom meeting. We’ve mentioned methods for Windows & Mac and smartphones, i.e., Android and iOS. Do try the feature and let me know your experience in the comments below.
Also, read- How to Use 3D AR Facial Effects on Zoom
You can also follow us for instant tech news at Google News or for tips and tricks, smartphones & gadgets reviews, join GadgetsToUse Telegram Group or for the latest review videos subscribe GadgetsToUse Youtube Channel.