If you have a lot of apps installed on your Android smartphone then most of those might be eating up your internet all the time. Most apps and games these days hog the internet and slow it down for other apps. To get full control of your internet speed, you can block internet access for specific apps using it in the background. Yes, it is possible and you can do it when you’re using mobile data or even when on a Wifi connection. This way these apps won’t hog your limited mobile data but still function normally when you are connected to an unlimited wifi network.
Ways to Block Internet Access For Specific Apps
There are basically two ways to block internet access for certain apps on your Android. One is via your phone’s setting where you can do this for each app individually and another way is third-party apps. We are elaborating both ways here.
1. Via Phone Settings
This feature is available in the latest Android versions (Android 10 and above). You can also check which app is eating how much data in background as well as foreground in the same setting.
Follow the steps below to block internet access for certain apps:
1. Go to Settings on your phone and then select Apps and Notifications or App Management on some phones.
2. Here, tap on Apps and you will see a list of all installed apps on your phone.
3. Select the app for which you want to block the internet access and tap on “Data usage details”.
4. Here, you can tap on “Background data” to disable the toggle next to it.
That’s it. The app will now not use internet in the background. Moreover, you can also disable mobile data from here by enabling the toggle next to it, if you have limited data on your mobile plan and want to use some apps on WiFi only.
2. Via Third-party Apps
There are a couple of apps that let you do that on your phone without root access. The app we are going to use here is the NetGuard firewall. It works perfectly and is completely free to use. Follow the steps below to use the NetGuard app to block the apps using your internet in the background.
- Download and install the NetGuard app from the Google Play Store for free and launch it from the app drawer.
- Once you agree to the terms of the app, you will see the list of all the installed apps o your phone.
- Select the app you want to block the internet access for.
- You will see the two icons beside the app name. Just tap on the Wifi icon or the mobile data icon to block the access.
- Once you block the access for that app, the app will not be able to access the internet in the background.
This is how you can block internet access for specific android apps for your smartphone in the background. For more Android related tips and tricks, you can follow us on social media to say updated.
You can also follow us for instant tech news at Google News or for tips and tricks, smartphones & gadgets reviews, join GadgetsToUse Telegram Group or for the latest review videos subscribe GadgetsToUse Youtube Channel.