Google is actively rolling out new updates to Google Docs, like enhanced spell check, adding freehand signatures, Smart Chips, and more. In this read, we are going to discuss what are Smart Chips, and how they can be used to embed apps in Google Docs. So without making any further delay, let’s start learning about Smart Chips. Meanwhile, you can learn to put Google Docs In a Google Drive Shared Folder.
What Are Smart Chips in Google Docs?
Table of Contents
While using social media apps, you must have used ‘@’ to tag people and places, well Smart Chips is quite similar to the samy, Smart chips are the tags that can be embedded directly into your Google Docs, this makes tagging other people, files, calendar events, or dates more convenient. Before you confuse them with hyperlinks, let me clear it up, smart chips give a lot of detailed information compared to hyperlinks when you hover over them in your doc, making them validate their name “SMART”.
Apps Compatible with Smart Chips
The following third-party apps now work with Smart Chips and can be embedded to add more value to your Google Docs experience:
- AO Docs
- Tableau, and
How To Add Smart Chips In Google Docs?
There are two ways to add smart chips to your Google Doc file.
- The first way is to type the @ symbol and follow the suggestions.
- The second way is by copying the link to the file and then replacing it with the smart chip.
Read on to discuss them in a more detailed view.
Use the @ Symbol to Add Smart Chips
This option is more useful when you are uncertain about something that you want to tag and, would like to choose from all the relevant options available around. Let’s see how it works.
1. While drafting something on your Google Doc, type the ‘@’ symbol before something which you want to tag.
2. A list of suggestions will pop up depending on what is already in your document (if you don’t specify a word after the ‘@’ symbol). This list includes people, files, dates, and meeting events which is related and relevant to the content of your docs file.
3. You can refine your search, by typing a name or keyword for a person, file, or event that you want to use as a tag.
4. Once you find the item you were looking for, Click on it to add it as a smart chip to your Google doc. And you are done.
Adding Smart Chips via Links
This method works great if you know exactly what file you are looking for, have its link, and do not rely on suggestions. For instance a YouTube video.
1. Copy the link of the file or a YouTube video.
2. No, paste the link in Google Docs, to see a prompt to press the Tab key on your keyboard to replace the link with a smart chip. If it doesn’t suggest then you can just paste the link by pressing CTRL +V and simply hit Enter.
3. Now once the link is there, click once on your link, to see a suggestion to replace the link with a chip from the pop-up menu.
3. Click the Chip button, and your link will be tagged. Now, you can click this chip, and play it without leaving docs.
Difference Between Smart Chips and Tags
If you are also confused between Smart Chips and tags then I must tell you that the functionality of both differs.
- Tags – Where tagging people within Google docs, slides, or sheets within a comment isn’t something new and ly easy to do – just type @ along with the email address in the comment box. You can also choose to assign a task to the person. The best part of tagging using the comments is that the tagged person will receive an email notifying him about the tag.
- Smart Chips – They can be embedded directly into the document, contains more information, and can be accessed by hovering over them. Smart Chips will be available to all users in Docs starting January 2023.
Q: What are Smart Chips in Google Docs?
A: Smart chips are a part of the new smart canvas. With this, we can tag people, dates, meetings, and files, and third-party apps, for quick and easy access.
Q: Are Smart Chips available to all Google Users?
A: Yes, smart chips will be available to all Google users, starting January 2023.
Q: How can I use smart chips for Google Services?
A: There are two ways to embed an app using Smart Chips, we have discusses both these methods above.
Now that you know all about Smart Chips you need not worry about embedding them. You can easily tag any link, person, date, or event in your Google Docs. If you found this article useful then do like and share. Check out other tips linked below, and stay tuned to GadgetsToUse for more such exciting ways of task handling.
- 6 Best Tips and Tricks to Use Google Docs Like A Pro
- 7 Ways to Delete an Empty Second Page in Google Docs
- 3 Ways to Put Two Images Together in Google Docs
- 2 Ways To Add Text, Images, or Links As QR Codes in Google Docs
You can also follow us for instant tech news at Google News or for tips and tricks, smartphones & gadgets reviews, join GadgetsToUse Telegram Group or for the latest review videos subscribe GadgetsToUse YouTube Channel.