Xiaomi has recently unveiled the MIUI 8 Developer version for select Mi and Redmi devices. This update is based on the latest Android 7.0 Nougat and has many other tweaks like a customized sliding response, New lock screen, status bar and Desktop view.
MIUI is Xiaomi’s customized version of Android, used in Xiaomi smartphones and tablets. This is an optimized skin and many apps are highly tweaked under the MIUI skin. It provides not only easier navigation but more customization options on your Android.
So far, the Nougat based MIUI 8 Developer ROM is available for the following models:
- Xiaomi Mi 5s
- Xiaomi Mi 5 Plus
- Xiaomi Mi Note 2
- Xiaomi Mi Mix
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 4
- Xiaomi Redmi 4
- Xiaomi Redmi 4A
Other Xiaomi devices will also receive the update soon. Since it is Developer Version, chances are that you may face minor crashes and bugs. If you’re ready for that, then this is an update worth testing out. Here is all you need to update to the MIUI 8 Android Nougat experience.
Note: Backup any important data you have in your phone’s internal storage. Installation of a new ROM will wipe the internal storage.
After identifying if your device is compatible,
- Make sure you download the ROM for your phone model only
- Be sure to download the right version of the ROM. There are 2 variants available, The Stable and Global.
- For installing MIUI 8 Nougat version, you will have to select the Developer version.
- You can download the ROM from here
How To Install MIUI 8 Based On Nougat
- Backup any important data you have on your Internal Storage
- Download MIUI 8 Developer ROM for your compatible Xiaomi device
- Copy the Downloaded zip file to your phone’s internal storage
- Note: Don’t copy it in any folder. Just paste it in the internal storage
- Open the Updater App in your Xiaomi device
- Click on the ‘…’ icon on the top right. Select Choose Update Package, then from your internal storage, select the zip file that you just downloaded.
- The dialogue box will ask you to erase all data on your internal storage. Proceed with the process and your phone will automatically restart in recovery mode, starting the installation of MIUI 8 Developer ROM on your device.
- After restart, it will ask you to restore the data, you can proceed as you like.
Congratulations! You’re now on Android Nougat based MIUI 8 developer ROM.
At this point, Xiaomi has not implemented all Nougat features into MIUI 8 Developer version, since the update is still a work in progress.