Samsung has announced a new Exynos 5 Series 7872 processor based on 14 nm FinFET process. It comes with a built-in LTE Cat.7 modem which supports downlink of up to 300 Mbps and two carriers. Samsung has made this processor to power its mid-range smartphones in selected regions.
Samsung Exynos 5 7872 SoC Specifications
- 14 nm FinFET process technology
- 2 X 2.0 GHz ARM Cortex-A73 CPUs + 4 X 1.6GHz ARM Cortex-A53 CPUs
- Mali-G71 MP1 GPU
- Cat.7 2CA Modem with downlink up to 300 Mbps and uplink up to 150 Mbps
- Supports display resolution up to WUXGA 1920 x 1200
- Full HD 120 fps encoding and decoding with HEVC(H.265), H.264 and VP8, VP9 decoder
- Rear camera support of up to 21.7MP for both rear and front, IRIS sensor up to 8MP, support dual camera out focusing feature
- LPDDR3 memory, eMMC 5.1, SD 3.0
- CDMA, GSM, TD-SCDMA, WCDMA, LTE-FDD and LTE-TDD modes
- Wi-Fi 802.11n (2.4GHz + 5GHz), Bluetooth 5.0, FM Radio
- GNSS (GPS, GLONASS, BeiDou, Galileo) for more accurate locations services
It supports up to two 2.0 GHz ARM Cortex-A73 cores and four 1.6GHz Cortex-A53 cores. Samsung has said that, “With the addition of powerful CPU, the Exynos 7872 improves the individual single-core performance by two folds, when compared to its predecessor, enabling faster web browsing, app launching and other operations on a smartphone in its class.”
It also supports dual camera setup with the bokeh effect. Samsung added to its statement, “By combining the information from RGB and monochrome camera, the Exynos 7872 can create an out-focus effect to make photographs more visually appealing.”
Meizu M6s is the first smartphone which has been released yesterday with this processor. We will also see some of Samsung’s mid-range smartphones powered by this processor in the coming months.