Samsung is not being very generous to its smartphones recently. It won’t be releasing another Android update to the Galaxy S8/ S8+ and Note 8 devices. We only wanted one more update but Samsung confirmed that you have to be settled with the Android 9 on your Galaxy S8 and Note 10. The smartphone has the hardware to at least receive one more Android update.
If you own one of these devices then don’t worry there is always a custom ROM for these type of situations. Someone on XDADevelopers has created an unofficial build of Lineage OS 17 for the Galaxy S8/ S8+ and Note 8. There are some bugs though but they are not major, you can live with them and won’t even notice them.
- This Lineage 17 built comes with a stock user interface as you should know and you won’t be able to get Samsung stock features and apps.
- The custom ROM will be featuring the Google stock camera app so do not install if you care about the camera features that much.
- Your phone should have a custom recovery installed, TWRP custom recovery is recommended.
- The custom ROM installation will void your smartphone’s warranty which you may get back by flashing the stock ROM.
- Make sure to backup your data first so if anything goes wrong, you won’t lose your important data.
Steps to install Android 10 on Galaxy S8/S8+ and Note 8
- Download the appropriate Lineage OS 17 zip package according to your device from the links above.
- Move the zip package to your smartphone internal memory.
- Reboot your phone to the recovery mode.
- Once in recovery mode, backup all your data using the Backup option.
- Use Wipe option to wipe the system for installation.
- Now, use the Install option and select the downloaded zip package to install the custom ROM.
This custom ROM is an unofficial build of the Lineage OS 17 so it might have some bugs but it is reported to stable for a daily driver. If you are stuck on any step which you can’t figure out then tell us in the comments and we’ll get back to you soon.