There are a couple of reasons why Android users prefer a more stock user interface than a themed one. Almost every smartphone manufacturer got one and they put their own different tweaks in it to make it unique. Recently, almost every brand is refining its UI to make it more stock Android, except for Xiaomi.
Xiaomi‘s MIUI was the most simple one in the earlier days of Android but recently this is the most messed up UI for Android smartphones. There are a lot of things to talk about but one problem which we all face is with the swipe up gesture in MIUI. This feature triggers the MIUI’s own browser instead of opening the app drawer.
This feature draws app drawer on literally all smartphones but Xiaomi has something else in mind and hasn’t fixed it yet. There is an option in settings to disable this but it’s only available in recent builds of MIUI. We have a solution for both versions of MIUI whether it is the latest or not.
Method 1: Settings
- Open Settings and navigate to Home Screen.
- Here you can disable the “Swipe up on the Home screen to open search” feature.
- This will disable the swipe gestures on Home screen.
If you don’t find the setting in your smartphone then try the next method below with a custom app.
Method 2: Third-Party app
- Download the third party apk file to disable search.
- Install the app on your phone, it will ask you for permission to sideload an apk file.
- Once, installed open the app.
- Look for the option Swipe Search and turn it off.
One of these methods will turn that annoying swipe search feature off in Xiaomi smartphones. If you want you can disable ads in MIUI using simple steps, this will completely get rid of the pop-up ads.