The Chinese electronics company, Xiaomi, has its leg in almost every sector related to technology. Now after the success of Mi Band, the company is all set to launch Mi Band 2 in India very soon. Mi Band 2 was launched on 2nd June this year and it went on sale from 7th June in China. In this article we will take a look at the complete overview of this much awaited wearable device.
Mi Band 2 Pros
- Great battery life
- Accurate records
- Smart design and display
- No nonsense features
Mi Band 2 Cons
- Display not properly visible in sunlight
- Can’t access all the records without Mi Fit app
- Heart rate monitor is inconsistent
GTS Series | Xiaomi Mi Band 2 India Unboxing By Technical Guru Ji, Sharma Ji and Abhishek
Design & Build
Xiaomi Mi Band 2 comes with a 0.42-inch OLED screen with scratch resistant glass on the top of it. Moreover the glass also has an anti fingerprint coating for better clarity. Below the display there is a capacitive button that allows you to move between Time, Steps and Heart Rate modes. At the bottom of the display capsule there is a heart rate sensor.
It holds an IP67 international waterproof grade that makes it waterproof, sweatproof and dustproof. Mi Band 2 comes with a nice light weight strap within which the display capsule is inserted. The strap is made up of skin friendly material and it is available in four colors in China namely black, blue, green and orange.
I am impressed with the design this time, although the band feels rubbery and may feel unconformable after regular usage. It is pretty tough and can take a lot of stress in real usage. To help you know more about the built, here is a video that will clear your doubts about the quality.
Mi Band 2 Torture Test India, Water Submerge, Dust Test, Will It Survive?
- First and foremost the Mi Band 2 has a very basic digital time display like any other digital watch.
- The next feature is the pedometer that basically does the step tracking, but this time it comes with a new and advanced meter step algorithm for accurate step by step measurement.
- Then comes the optical heart rate monitor for which a heart rate sensor is placed at the bottom that can accurately read the heart rate.
- Mi Band 2 also shows you the calories burnt and kilometers walked and gives you inactivity alerts through vibration.
- It can also record your sleep quality whether it is deep or light.
- In addition to all of that Mi Band 2 has a fast and stable Bluetooth 4 connectivity.
- So you can simply install the Mi Fit app to track and keep record of your data and also receive notifications for calls and messages.
Mi Band 2 is backed by a high density, compact and lightweight Lithium-Polymer 70 mAh battery which can meet the requirement of 20 days of continuous use. Mi band 2 comes with a small USB charger in which you can place your display unit with the metal connectors meeting each other.
It has been 16 days since I am using the Mi Band 2 and I can still see 41% battery left in the device. I must tell you that I am using this band everyday, even when I am asleep. So clearly, there is no questioning about the battery performance, it is one of the bst so far.
Talking about its comparison with the earlier Mi Band in India, Mi Band 2 has a 0.45 inch OLED Display which was missing in the earlier variant. Moreover, it has a better quality and lighter strap which is more breathable than the latter. In addition to that it has a better sensor for more accuracy in the heart rate measurement and it also has a better step algorithm system. But the earlier variant had a battery life of 30 days which is now reduced to 20 days in Mi Band 2, however, that can be overlooked for improved specs.
Price & Availability
Mi Band 2 is now available in India officially, it will go on sale at 12PM on 27th September 2016. You can buy it from the official Xiaomi website.
Looking at what price it comes for, the Mi Band 2 is surely one of its kind fitness band till now. It can track your daily activity, looks good, and has an long lasting battery life. Xiaomi needs to pay heed to its Mi Fit app and accuracy of the heart rate sensor. As a hard core athlete may not find the accuracy on point. Overall, if you need a fitness band that looks good and doesn’t cost a lot then this is the one for you.