Like Google Family Library on Android, you can share your app store purchases with other iPhone users using Apple Family Sharing. This includes getting access to each other’s apps, games, music, movies, TV shows, and books. In this article, let’s have a detailed look at how you can share paid iOS apps with your friends and family.
Share Paid iOS Apps with Other iPhone Users Using Apple Family Sharing
Table of Contents
If your family or friends have multiple iOS devices, you don’t need to buy the same app multiple times. Instead, you can use Apple Family Sharing to share your app purchases with up to 6 other people for free, that too, without sharing your account.
You can also share App Store Purchases and iTunes, Apple Books, Apple Music family plan, Apple News+ subscription, and iCloud storage plan. It also lets you share photo albums and family calendars, and locations if you want to.
Also, Read | Steps to Share Spotify Premium With Family
- Family Sharing works on iOS 8 or later.
- Each member should have their own Apple ID.
- Each family member can only be in one family group at a time.
- One can switch the group twice a year.
- The family organizer can create an Apple ID for their children under 13 to add them to family sharing.
1] Set Up Family Sharing on iPhone or iPad
- Open Settings on your iPhone.
- Tap your name at the top. Now, click on Family Sharing.
- Click on Get Started and follow the on-screen instructions.
- If asked, choose a payment method- all the family members can use this for making purchases on iTunes, Apple Books, and App Store.
- Once you complete the setup, click Add Member.
- Invite up to six members using Messages, Mail, or AirDrop. Ask the invited members to accept and join your Family Sharing group.
2] Share Purchased Apps with Others
Now that you have set up family sharing and added your friends and family, below is how to share purchased apps with other iPhone users.
- Open Settings and tap on your name.
- Click on Family Sharing.
- On the next screen, click on Purchase Sharing.
- Click Continue and follow on-screen instructions.
- You’ll be notified that your payment method will be shared with your family members. All existing and new Apple subscriptions by the family will now be billed to the shared payment method.
- While finishing the setup, send a message to invite the family members to join purchase sharing share their purchases.
Once they join, purchase sharing will be enabled for your family sharing group.
3] Access Apps Purchased by Family Members
Once family members join and agree to share their purchases, you can download their purchased books, music, and apps from the Purchased tab of the iTunes, Apple Books, and App Store.
To access apps purchased by other family members:
- Open App Store on your iPhone or iPad.
- Click your profile icon at the top right corner.
- Select Purchased.
- Now, tap your family member’s name to see their content.
- Click the Download button to download the paid app or game on your iPhone for free.
4] Share Subscriptions & In-App Purchases
Apple lately announced that subscriptions and one-time in-app purchases, too, can now be shared amongst families. However, this does not apply to consumable items like in-game coins or skins. Anyway, if you unlocked an app’s pro or ad-free version, it can be shared using Family Sharing.
If you’re the one who usually buys subscriptions in the family, you can check which ones can be shared in Settings > Your Name > Subscriptions. Here, you’ll also see a toggle for Share New Subscriptions, which, when enabled, will automatically give your family members access to the eligible in-app subscriptions that you paid for.
You can also manually share app subscriptions with family by clicking the subscription and enabling the Share with Family toggle.
Tip- Hide App Store Purchases from Family
If there are any app purchases that you do not want to share with your family, you can hide them by going to App Store > Profile Picture > Purchased > My Purchases. Here, swipe from right to left on the app you want to hide from Family Sharing. Finally, tap Hide.
This was all about how you can share paid iOS apps with friends and family for free using Family Sharing. Besides, I’ve also mentioned how you can share your subscriptions and in-app purchases. I hope this helps you save money by avoiding purchasing the same apps and subscriptions multiple times. Stay tuned for more such articles.
You can also follow us for instant tech news at Google News or for tips and tricks, smartphones & gadgets reviews, join GadgetsToUse Telegram Group or for the latest review videos subscribe GadgetsToUse Youtube Channel.