Google added a new PIP mode in the latest version of Android which allows the user to play videos in a small pop up window. The pop-up window is not affected by anything you are working on or any app you have opened. The PiP mode is also available for the YouTube app but it limited only to the YouTube Red subscribers and Android Oreo users.
Since not all the smartphones are getting the Android 8.0 Oreo update, this feature is further limited to lesser users. However, recently, a developer has created an application called NewPipe which enables users to watch YouTube videos in a pop-up window just like the PiP mode (picture-in-picture). There are more features which this app offers other than the PiP mod like downloading videos directly to the local storage and allows users to play videos in the background.
The app is not available on the Google Play Store so you have to download the apk on your smartphone. Let’s see how you can install the NewPipe app on your smartphone and get the PIP mode working.
How install NewPipe App
- Download the NewPipe apk file from here.
- Enable Unknown Sources option in Settings > Security (for Xiaomi smartphones Settings > Additional Settings > Security).
- Go to the file manager app and navigate to the apk file you downloaded.
- Install the apk like any other apk and open the app.
How to use the NewPipe app
- Once you open the app, you will see two tabs – Trending and Subscriptions.
- Above the tabs are the search bar and the menu button.
- Use any of the two ways to see a video.
- The video page will show you different options than the YouTube app.
- On the top is the drop-down menu to change the resolution in which you want to stream the video.
- You will also see a download button and a share button.
- Below the video thumbnail, you will see two more buttons; Background and Popup.
- The background button will play the audio from the video and keep it playing even if you minimize the app.
- The Popup button will start the video in a small pop up window.