The Redmi Note 5 Pro was released recently by Xiaomi with the MIUI 9.2 preinstalled on it out of the box. The MIUI 9.2 update is based on the Android 7.1 Nougat which is an outdated version of Android as Google already released the first developer preview for Android P. Luckily, recently XDA Developers found that the Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro support Google Project Treble which means it will get seamless Android version updates.
A developer on XDA Developers found a way to install the Android 8.1 Oreo update on his Redmi Note 5 Pro without rooting or flashing a custom ROM. He changed the system image of the stock ROM on his smartphone with a system image from AOSP ROM based on Android 8.1 Oreo. Now, he has everything running perfectly on his smartphone. If you own a Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 Pro itself, then you can install Android 8.1 Oreo on yours.
The process is a bit long but it is very easy to do, also follow the steps very carefully or it might damage the device. The installation needs you to go through a series of steps which you have to follow in the same way as written below. So, let’s do this but first make sure that your smartphone is fully charged and you have a laptop laying around in your room.
Unlocking the Bootloader
First, we need to unlock the bootloader on your smartphone which might void your smartphone’s warranty but you can relock the bootloader later after the installation so it will be fine. Before going to the steps, unlock your smartphone and go to Settings > About Phone > tap on Build Number seven times. Come back to Settings > Developer Options > enable USB Debugging and Allow OEM unlocking.
- Download the platform tools zip file on your laptop from here and extract it on the desktop.
- Open the folder and copy the location to that folder from the address bar on file explorer.
- Now, right-click on the Start button and select Command Prompt (Admin).
- On the command window, type “cd location of the extracted folder” and press Enter key.
- Now type “adb devices” and press Enter, wait for some time and connect your Redmi note 5 Pro.
- You will see your device listed there, now execute this command “adb reboot bootloader.”
- When your device reboots, execute this command “fastboot oem unlock.”
- Your phone will prompt you to erase all data, confirm it to continue unlocking the bootloader.
Installing MIUI 9 with Android 8.1 Oreo system file
- Download the MIUI 9 China 8.1 ROM file from here and extract it.
- Download the system image file from here and replace it with the system file in the extracted MIUI China ROM.
- Re-zip the ROM file to make it flashable again., follow the steps below to flash it on your Redmi Note 5 Pro.
Flash the MIUI 9 China 8.1 ROM via Flash tool
Now, flash the updated ROM on your Redmi Note 5 Pro using the Mi flash tool. It is easy to do, just connect your smartphone to PC, start the flash tool, select the ROM file and start the flashing tool.
Your phone will reboot after the flash and you will be running the latest AOSP Oreo 8.1 on your Redmi Note 5 Pro.
Your smartphone will need your details to set up your smartphone for the first time as you did when the phone was new. There are no bugs whatsoever in this installation process, just follow the steps carefully without skipping any part because it can damage any functionality of the smartphone or it can fully shut down your device.