If you use your smart TV remote to type something, you probably have an idea why it is a painful task. Most smart TV remotes these days come without a keyboard and there are only a few buttons. Most of these TVs have the voice control remote, but what about when you enter passwords, or when voice typing isn’t supported on the app you’re using? Well, in such scenarios, you can use your phone as a mouse and keyboard for Android TV. Read on to know, how!
Also, read | 3 Ways to Customize Home Screen of Your Android TV
Use Your Phone as Mouse and Keyboard for Android TV
Most smart TVs can use your phone’s keyboard as an input method through some apps. One of the best apps among them is Google’s official app and others are third-party apps you can use based on your TV model.
Note: Before starting, you should note that your phone and Android TV must be connected to the same WiFi network for these apps to work.
Google TV App
You can use the Google TV app on any Android smartphone or tablet and use your phone as a mouse and keyboard for your Android TV. Here’s how to set up your phone as a remote:
1. Open the Google TV app on your Android phone.
2. On the home page, near the bottom right corner, tap on Remote.
3. Now at the top, tap on “Scanning for devices” and choose your TV from the list.
4. After that, enter the code shown on your TV to pair your phone and TV.
5. Once your phone is paired, you can use your phone’s keyboard to type on your TV.
Tap on the little keyboard icon above to start typing and apart from this, you can navigate as well as control volume on your TV using the Google TV app.
Android TV Remote Control App
You can also use any other third-party Android TV remote control app on your phone that can work as a keyboard for your TV based on its model. Here we are using the OnePlus Connect app.
1. Download and install the OnePlus Connect app on your phone.
2. Open the app and tap on the little remote control icon in the bottom right corner.
3. On the next page, you will see available devices to connect, select your TV.
4. That’s it, your phone will be connected to your TV as a remote.
You can use the blank area to navigate as a mouse or trackpad and when you need to use the keypad, the keyboard on your phone will automatically show up.
3. Mi Remote Controller
If you have a Mi TV or Redmi TV, you can use this app on your Android to control your TV. Apart from TVs, this app also helps control other electronic appliances like AC, Air Purifier, and Water heaters. Here’s how to set up this app to use as a remote for your TV:
Note: Your phone should have the IR sensor for this app to work.
1. Download and Install the Mi Remote Controller app on your phone.
2. Now open the app and connect your phone to the same WiFi as your TV.
3. Click on “Add Remote” from the bottom, and on the next page, select Mi TV or any other TV you have.
4. After that, look for your TV in the available devices list and select it.
5. Once the TV and phone are connected, you can start using the app to control TV functions.
Using this app, you can navigate on your TV like a trackpad and also use the phone’s keyboard on the TV.
So this is how you can use your phone as a keyboard on your TV. For more Android TV tips and tricks, stay tuned!
You can also follow us for instant tech news at Google News or for tips and tricks, smartphones & gadgets reviews, join GadgetsToUse Telegram Group, or for the latest review videos subscribe GadgetsToUse Youtube Channel.