Google Maps has now started showing ads wherein promoted businesses appear prominently as squares on the map. They show up on real business locations, which makes them less annoying- it's just that they stand out even when zoomed out on the map. In this article, let's see how to turn off business ads in Google Maps. Meanwhile, you can learn to hide or remove a Place from Google Location History.
Turn Off Business Ads in Google Maps
The promoted businesses on Google Maps appear prominently as squares with their logo on the map. Tapping the business will not only open the details but may also show promoted links to the business. Many people may not like these advertisements or promoted businesses using Google Maps. While there's no straightforward toggle to remove ads in Maps, here's a workaround that seems to be turning them off for now:
1. Open Settings on your Android phone.
2. Scroll down and click on Google.
3. Here, select the Google account you use with Google Maps.
4. Then, scroll down and click on Personalize using shared data.
5. Turn off the toggle for Maps.
Now, open Google Maps to check if you still see the ads. They should no longer appear on the map.
That said, Google Maps also shows ads during navigation to promote businesses, followed by similar places ads which show you similar businesses nearby, and auto-suggest places in search- all of which cannot be turned off yet.
Disable Ad Personalization by Google
Google personalizes the ads based on your information and preferences. However, these ads may seem creepy, which is why you may consider disabling ad personalization altogether. Here's how to do it for your Google account:
1. Visit myaccount.google.com/yourdata/maps in your browser.
2. Scroll down and click on Ad Personalization.
3. On the next screen, turn off the toggle for Ad personalization is ON.
4. Finally, click on Turn Off.
You can scroll down on the same page to see how Google uses all data to personalize your advertisements. Furthermore, you can choose to see fewer ads on sensitive categories like dating, gambling, parenting, weight loss, and more across all Google products.
This is how you can turn off business ads in Google Maps on your phone. I hope this helps you retain the clean and clutter-free experience while using Maps on your mobile device. Anyways, what are your thoughts on Google's new approach to advertisements in maps? Let us know via comments. Stay tuned for more such tips, tricks, and how-tos.
You might be interested in:
- 4 Ways to Fix Google Maps Rerouting Problem on Android, iPhone
- 5 Ways to Block Popup Notifications, Full-Screen Ads on Android Phone
- Top 3 Ways To Find Elevated Roads On Google Maps in Your Route
- How to Check Toll Charges Online on Google Maps and Avoid Them
You can also follow us for instant tech news at Google News or for tips and tricks, smartphones & gadgets reviews, join GadgetsToUse Telegram Group or for the latest review videos subscribe GadgetsToUse Youtube Channel.