When it comes to digital safety, privacy has always been a contentious issue in the digital space. However, new security techniques like end-to-end encryption have made instant messaging and social apps like WhatsApp, Facebook, and Instagram more secure than ever. That said, if you’re searching for a way to use encrypted chats on Facebook Messenger and Instagram, you’ve come to the right spot. Follow this detailed explainer to use encrypted chats on these social platforms.
How are Encrypted Chats Helpful?
The Encrypted Chats utilizes an end-to-end encryption technique that protects user privacy by keeping conversations safe. In simple words, apps utilizing this technique encrypt chats so that no other than you or the message participant can see the message contents. As a result of this, the company and the user develop a sense of trust and safety because the company cannot decode these end-to-end encrypted chats, preventing even the smallest misuse of their message contents.
So, let’s quickly look at the steps required to enable encrypted chats on Facebook Messenger and Instagram.
Steps to Use Encrypted Chats on Facebook Messenger
Creating an encrypted chat in the Facebook Messenger app is as easy as eating a cake. Here’s what you need to follow.
1. Open the Facebook Messenger app (Android, iOS) and tap the Pen icon in the top-right corner to create a new conversation.
2. Next, tap the Lock Toggle button in the top-right corner to turn on end-to-end encryption in messages.
3. Once enabled, search and open the chat of your desired Facebook friend to start a conversation with encryption enabled.
That’s it! All conversations and calls shall now remain encrypted till this message exists.
Initiate an Encrypted Chat from an existing Facebook Chat
If you don’t wish to waste your time in manually turning on encryption, you can start an encrypted conversation with your friend from an existing Facebook Messager Chat. Follow these steps to achieve the same.
1. Open an existing Facebook message chat inside the Messenger app and tap the information (i) button in the top-right corner.
2. Scroll down to locate and tap the Go to Secret Conversation option, to create a new encrypted chat with your selected friend.
3. Finally, type your desired message, to send it to your friend with end-to-end encryption. In addition, calls made in this thread using the Messenger app will also remain encrypted.
Steps to Use Encrypted Chats on Instagram
Similar to Facebook, Instagram allows you to create encrypted chats with your friend to protect your privacy. Here’s how you can enable Encrypted chat on Instagram.
1. Open the Instagram app (Android, iOS) and slide into the DM section by tapping the Message button in the top-right corner.
2. Next, tap the + button in the top-right corner to create a new conversation.
3. Further, tap the Lock button to enable end-to-end encryption in messages and pick your desired friend to chat with.
4. Finally, press the Create Chat button to start conversing with your friend on Instagram with end-to-end encryption enabled.
Instigate an Encrypted Chat from an Existing Instagram DM
Besides searching and creating an encrypted chat manually, you can initiate a secure conversation with your friend on Instagram using these simple steps.
1. Open an existing Instagram message and tap the Username of the person in the message title.
2. Scroll down to the bottom to find the ‘Use end-to-end encryption‘ option and tap to enable it.
3. Once enabled, you will be navigated to a new Instagram DM where you can chat and call your friend with encryption enabled.
Bonus: Send Disappearing Messages on Instagram and Facebook Messenger
In case you’re hesitant about protecting your privacy through end-to-end encryption, you can send disappearing messages to your friend, which vanishes automatically after a certain period. Check out our comprehensive explainer to send disappearing messages on Instagram and Facebook Messenger.
Q: Are my Instagram Chats encrypted?
A: By default, Instagram does not encrypt your chats in DM unless done manually. Follow the steps mentioned above to enable encryption.
Q: Are my Facebook Messenger Chats Encrypted?
A: Similar to Instagram, Facebook doesn’t encrypt your conversations in the Messenger app. Follow the steps mentioned above to enable encryption.
Q: How to enable End-to-End encryption in Facebook Messenger?
A: Follow the easy steps in this explainer to enable end-to-end encryption on your Facebook Messenger conversation.
Q: How to Encrypt my Chat on Facebook?
A: Simply, initiate a new encrypted chat or switch to the Secret Conversation option inside the Messenger app. For more details, refer to the steps listed in this guide.
Q: How to Encrypt my Chats on Instagram?
A: Similar to Facebook Messenger, you can encrypt your Instagram chats by pressing the end-to-end encryption option in the message settings.
Q: How to enable end-to-end encryption on Instagram?
A: Check out the easy steps listed in this explainer to enable end-to-end encryption on Instagram.
Q: I can’t use encrypted chats with certain people on Facebook and Instagram. Why?
A: Both Facebook Messenger and Instagram do not offer end-to-end encryption while talking to businesses or public figures. In addition, Instagram refrains from using end-to-end encryption with certain DMs based on its algorithm and user eligibility.
Wrapping Up: Keep Conversations Safer with Encrypted Chats!
We hope you’ve picked some useful methods from this explainer to keep your Facebook and Instagram messages safer by using encrypted chats. If you find it helpful, share it with your loved ones, and check the links below for more digital safety articles.
You might be interested in the following:
- Understanding Safety Check on iPhone: How to Use it?
- 7 Ways to Scan Links from WhatsApp or SMS before Clicking
- 8 Android Features to Increase your Smartphone Security
- 3 Ways to Protect your Android Phone from Overcharging
You can also follow us for instant tech news at Google News or for tips and tricks, smartphones & gadgets reviews, join GadgetsToUse Telegram Group or for the latest review videos subscribe GadgetsToUse Youtube Channel.