Back in October 2021, Google Maps got a new feature to help users save gas and travel costs by suggesting fuel-efficient routes. Later on, this feature was pushed to other regions like Europe in 2022, and now, after nearly one and a half years, fuel-efficient routing is also making its way to India. This read will discuss using it and finding a fuel-efficient route on Google Maps.
Steps to Use Fuel-Efficient Routing on Google Maps
Table of Contents
Fuel-efficient routes are suggested for your vehicle engine type based on the estimated energy and fuel efficiency data using insights from several agencies and laboratories. This data includes Real-time traffic, road elevation, vehicle type, historical data, and weather conditions. Here’s how you can select your vehicle type in Google Maps.
This setting only applies to cars. For motorcycles, Google Maps will assume you have a gas-powered motorcycle.
2. Tap your profile picture or initials from the top right and go to settings.
3. Under Settings, scroll down and go to Navigation settings.
4. Under Navigation Settings, scroll down to the Route Options and enable Prefer fuel-efficient routes.
Now, you need to mention details about your vehicle, for example, engine type.
5. Under Route Options, tap on Engine type, select the following as per your vehicle:
- Vehicle with an internal combustion engine – Select Gas or Diesel.
- A Compressed Natural Gas (CNG) or Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) vehicle – Choose Gas.
- A hybrid or plug-in hybrid that mostly runs with fuel – Choose Hybrid.
- An EV or plug-in hybrid that mostly runs on electricity – Choose Electric.
6. Now, tap on Done.
Now, Google Maps will show you the most fuel-efficient route based on your chosen vehicle type. It must be noted that the routes for different vehicle types can be different, for example:
- Diesel vehicles are more fuel-efficient on highways,
- Hybrid and electric vehicles are better suited for hills due to regenerative braking,
- CNG and Petrol vehicles are for city drives.
How to Change Fuel-Efficient Routing While Navigation
If you are driving a vehicle different from the one you have selected under settings and are in a hurry. Forgetting to go back in settings and change the engine type is very common. You can also change the vehicle type from the navigation screen. Here’s how it can be done:
1. Enter the source and destination address in Google Maps to see the possible routes between the two points.
2. Tap the three dots menu from the top right, and go to Route Options.
3. Here, tap the select engine type, and choose the engine type of your vehicle from the available options.
4. Tap Done to save changes and see the most fuel-efficient route per your engine type.
Q. What Is a Fuel-Efficient Route on Google Maps?
Based on various environmental factors and your vehicle’s engine type, Google Maps suggests a fuel and energy-efficient route. The more efficient the route is, the lower your vehicle’s fuel or energy usage and CO2e emissions.
Q. How Do I Enable the Fuel-Efficient Route on Google Maps?
Go to the navigation settings on Google Maps, and enable Fuel Efficient routes. Make sure you have the latest Google Maps installed on your phone. For more details, refer to the steps mentioned above.
Q. Does Google Maps Support Fuel-Efficient Routes in India?
Yes. Google Maps does support fuel-efficient routes in India; it will go live in January 2024. It will take insights from local bodies like the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways, car manufacturers, and NGOs to suggest fuel-efficient routes.
So this is how you can set up and use the fuel-efficient route feature on Google Maps to find the best route that helps you save gas and money and reduces the impact the longer route would have on Mother Earth. Currently, Fuel-Efficient routing is available in 46 countries, including Argentina, Australia, Brazil, Canada, Denmark, Finland, the US, Japan, the UK, etc., and will roll out to more countries soon. Stay tuned to GadgetsToUse for more such reads, and check the ones linked below.
You might be interested in the following:
- 5 Ways to Share Entire Route from Google Maps to Phone or PC
- 3 Ways to Find Google Maps Routes Without Traffic or Speed Cameras
- 3 Ways To Use Google Maps on Phone While Connected to Android Auto
- 4 Ways to Measure Distance Between Two Points in Google Maps
You can also follow us for instant tech news at Google News or for tips and tricks, smartphones & gadgets reviews, join the GadgetsToUse Telegram Group, or subscribe to the GadgetsToUse Youtube Channel for the latest review videos.