With the digital era combined with an ongoing pandemic, everything is done digitally whether it is shopping for groceries, watching movies, or even reading newspapers (or articles). You must have come across an article of your interest (like politics, gaming, celebrity gossips, or anything else), but after scrolling through few lines, a pop-up comes asking you to pay to read further (Just like the below screenshot).
Most people can’t pay such a sum of money just to read an article and decides to close the tab without reading what they came for. Well not anymore, because in this article I’m going to tell you about how to read articles without a subscription.
10 Ways to Read Articles Without Subscription
Don’t worry we’ll not charge you in order to read this article, lol. So without any further delay let’s get started.
1. Opening the page in Incognito Tab
This trick is one of the simplest ways to bypass the paywall, and it works on most of the sites (if not on all of them). As track records are not available in the incognito tab, the paywall doesn’t become a hindrance here. All you have to do is copy the link of the article and paste the same in an incognito tab.
2. Stop the page loading before the paywall gets loaded
This trick is also simple and easy to bypass the paywall. All you need to do is, click on the cross button to stop, and prevent the page to load the paywall. But, nowadays publishers embed the paywall along with the main page. So, this trick may not work on all the sites, but you can still give it a try.
3. Reset Your Browser Cookies
There are certain publications that let you read few articles for free without any account or trial plan, but then ask you to pay to read more articles. This is because they are tracking the number of articles you read, and this is done by cookies. Every browser has a different way to clear cookies, since Chrome is the most popular one, we will go with it:
- Click on More Menu (3 Dots)
- Go to More Tools
- Click on Clear Browsing Data
- Check these two boxes under the Advanced tab, and click on Clear Data.
4. Save the article as a PDF
A paywall can stop you from reading an article only when you are reading it online. It can’t stop you when you have saved the entire article as a pdf on your phone or computer. To there are multiple free ways to save a webpage as pdf, checkout out our detailed article about how to save a webpage on your phone (Android/iOS) and computer.
5. Look for the Duplicate Article
Internet is a very strange and wonderful place at the same time, there are websites that directly copy articles from well-known publications and publish them on their own site. These sites can come in handy to read articles which require a paywall. You need to copy the article’s title and search it, you can also add quotes (” “) outside the article name to better search results.
6. Use a VPN Service
VPN – Virtual Private Network, as the name suggests, creates a private network, and virtually changes your location. So, those sites that let you read a few articles say 5 or 6 for free, keeps the records by tracking your IP details. The VPN Extension will help you to get more than one IP by changing your location, this will enable you to read thousands of articles for free and you will easily bypass the paywall.
7. Use Outline to read articles without a subscription
Another great way to bypass the paywall is through outline.com. Here are the steps you need to follow.
- Visit Outline.com
- Open any site you want to bypass the paywall.
- Copy the link to that article.
- Paste it in the search box on Outline.com, and that’s it. The page will open without paying anything.
8. Bypass Paywalls Extension for Chrome/Firefox/Microsoft Edge
This is one is an easy way to bypass the paywall, and works on a lot of websites, but only if you know how to add extensions to a web browser. In case you are not familiar with extensions, simply follow these steps:
Installation steps for Firefox
- Click the download and install the latest version link from this Github Page. (as shown in the image)
- You will receive a prompt like this. Click on Continue to Installation and then click on Add.
- Once the installation gets completed, you will see a long list of compatible websites under the add-on manager tab, where you can alter your selection and click on Save. Make sure that the extension is set to enabled, or else it won’t work.
Installation steps for Chrome/Microsoft Edge:
- Download the Zip file from this Github page.
- Follow the instructions mentioned on the said page.
You can also try the Unpay Wall extension for Chrome, this extension search the internet for a free pdf version (legal) of the article you want to read.
9. Use Temporary Accounts Services
There are few websites that provide a temporary account for free, which can be used by anyone to access certain paid services. One such website is BugmeNot.com, where community members can share login details for various paid services, you can try to look for the article you want to read. This way you will be able to bypass the paywall pretending to be a real user.
10. Bonus Tip – Cached Pages
I mean who hates bonuses, do you? If the 5 ways mentioned above don’t work for you, then here’s the last resort for you guys.
- Visit CachedPages.com
- Open any site you want to bypass the paywall for.
- Copy the link to that article.
- Paste it in the search box on CachedPages.com. If all things work in your favor, the page will open but without any images. (I’m not a fan of this trick, but something is better than nothing you know).
So these are few ways by which you can bypass the paywall on news pages and read articles without a subscription.
Note: These tricks may or may not work with all the websites, so you can do a hit and try these tricks to read articles.
With this last note, I end my article here, do let us know which of these tricks worked for you, in the comments down below. Stay subscribed to GadgetsToUse.com and our YouTube Channel for more amazing tips and tricks.
You can also follow us for instant tech news at Google News or for tips and tricks, smartphones & gadgets reviews, join GadgetsToUse Telegram Group, or for the latest review videos subscribe GadgetsToUse Youtube Channel.